Handmade Gift


When I was little I loved playing with my mothers Nesting Dolls from USSR.
It wasn't very often that she let me play with it but when she did, I was so excited!!!



Over the years I have told my kids the story of how I was only allowed to play with them when my Mom was in the room and only for a limited time, as they were special to her.

They have all asked at one point to play with them, I am very hesitant each time one asks. If they were to damage them of lose one I would feel sad but also I was feel like my Mom would be disappointed.

A few weeks before my oldest daughter Hannah was to move to University campus she was spending a lot of time painting in her room with her best friend Andy.
When I would ask what she was painting she would tell me Andy was working on a painting for my wall. (I truly enjoy displaying art from people I love).

Just a couple days before we packed her things in the car, she gave me a gift!! One of kind, extremely meaningful, swell your heart kind of gift!!

She had hand painted a set of 6 Nesting Dolls... but not just doll faces, she painted a 'set' per each piece. One person from each set one one side and the other person on the back.

See in our family we have 5 'sets' plus one...

Set 1. Mom and Dad
Set 2. Jacob and Hannah (less than a year apart in age)
Set 3. Isabelle and Michael (also less than a year)
Set 4. Eva and Grace (same)
Set 5. LilyKate and Annelise 
Leo is our plus one.

On the back of Leo's, she painted our last name and the year.



I was so excited and impressed, she really knew the perfect gift for me.
Which by the way was brilliant timing, as I was dreading her leaving my house (sad face).

I shouldn't be over dramatic, she is only 3 hours away (not 14 like my sonny boy).

So when she came home for Holiday break, I found another set of blank Nesting Dolls and asked her to make me another set.
She found 5 sets online that she liked and asked my opinion.... Well I love animals, especially penguins. And my favorite colors are black, white and red.
So I picked the black and white set and asked her to please add a little something red to each....

They are (in order) a penguin, a panda, an owl, a fox and a hedgehog!!



I love them and am excited to see my collection of Nesting Dolls grow!!


Do you have something you adored of your Mother/Father that you still cherish?

Comments

Popular Posts