Gardening

Gardens have impacted my life.

Well, my grandparents had the largest garden I have seen to date.
They had a garden as long as their house and probably almost as wide!!

When I was small, I was allowed to pick and eat the tomatoes right out of the garden.

I have many memories of that garden: my grandmother pulling weeds, my mom and her sisters helping, the arch leading into the garden.

I have always wanted a garden, not as big as my grandparents garden, but to grow and eat fresh veggies from my own green thumb, yes please!
My kids also got the experience of picking tomatoes fresh from the garden of our wonderful neighbors behind us, George and Birdie. George would lift my kids over the fence dividing our yards and take them over to his tomato plants and let them pick and eat whichever one they wanted.

I gave it a try at our last home in Ohio, and man did I do a great job!! I made a compost and once we had a few weeks worth we rototilled the compost with the dirt and planted baby tomato plants.

OH MY they grew so big and made beautiful large delicious tomatoes!!

I wish I had taken pictures of them.

A few weeks ago we put together a container garden.
'EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!' That is the squeal I did when we finished - pure happiness!


We planted cherry tomatoes and cucumbers in our Topsy Turvy's that we bought a few years ago.
In our containers, we planted beef steak tomatoes, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, turnips, serrano peppers, and hot salsa peppers, as well as a few herbs - oregano, sweet basil, parsley, chives and cilantro.

We plan to add a few more items. I recently saw a video that explained that you can grow some veggies and herbs from the ones we buy at the grocery store, which I found to be very exciting!
Things like celery, garlic, green onions, potatoes and leeks... there are more but those are the ones at the front of my mind right now.

Do you have a garden? 

Comments

Popular Posts