Vintage Fool

Good times Vintage Style

I was in middle school and 'everyone' went to Rocky's on Friday night!!
They had some arcade games, snack bar, and ROLLER SKATING!! Of course my Mom would allow me to go. She needed time away from my mouthy teenage behind, and I was finally getting the exercise she complained at me all week to get.

Roller Skating was fun, easy, and WHO doesn't love music while rolling around??

I got pretty good, I could dance while skating, I could skate with a partner, and best of all I could skate backward!! Obviously that was my proudest accomplishment!

Oh the memories.. 
Wait, why are they just memories?
Roller skating rinks are still around, so why haven't I skated in YEARS?!

Only some of my kids have ever been, and that was just once.
 OH the wonderful experience they have not been subject to!!

Well that is a thing of the past, we received an opportunity to take all 11 of us for FREE!





What an experience it was...



First of all, what the heck is THAT? I have never seen anything like it.
It is an assistant walker to help the littles learn to skate. Because apparently learning to walk with wheels on your feet is difficult. I obviously forgot that!!

 The kids were very concerned as they handed their shoes to the guy behind the counter. "Mom, how will he know which shoes are mine?" 
(I smiled at the thought of them getting the nice pair of Jordan's the kid next to us exchanged)
I explained that each pair of skates has it's own cubby and when you return the skates, your shoes are waiting in the cubby those skates belong.  
I am not even gonna go into the conversation about "How OLD are these brown and orange skates?"!


We got this Mom, its not that hard...
You just have to wear wheels on your feet and Disco, right?!?

Some got the hang of roller skating pretty easily.

Some may have had their ego get ahold of them... 
(ahem not just the obvious girl above, but her daddy too)

Not sure 2 non skaters should be helping one another, but it worked for them.. I mean it always feels better when you're not the only one on the floor. Let's face it that's where they spent most of their time.
But they had fun doing it.


So I decided skating must be like riding a bike, I can get out there and do it...
(Yeah, not gonna see a pic of me)
Let me be very clear, IT IS NOT LIKE RIDING A BIKE!! 
I think 2 different people there tried handing me one of the assistant walkers!
After only 30 minutes of looking like a Vintage Fool I got the hang of it, and then BAM fell on my knee!
Back to picture taking for me!

I love this pic!
Reminds me of a 1970's show I used to watch






They had races- just girls, just boys, anyone, push a friend, and my favorite (and Isabelle's too) the monkey race.




Here is a picture of the monkey race in progress, and YES she did win by a long shot!

awe proud of my little monkey


These littles gave up, and Hannah being Big Sister of the year, sat with them! 
It had nothing to do with the fact that Mom was stuck on the other side of the rink and couldn't get back over there.


Even this little stinker skated, that was a job!! 
Only lasted like 10 minutes, but he insisted on keeping on the skates for about 30 minutes.



I know this may look like they fell, but that was NOT the case. They were break dancing on skates! (winkey face)
I didn't get a lot of floor pics, but trust me we were all on the floor at some point!

Daddy always helps the kids, Mom on the other hand was struggling to stay up!! That may be me behind Jon.


Isabelle here taking the lead in a race, she is just as competitive as her daddy.


We took Flat Stella along with us to roller skate, pretty sure she had a great time!!


Jon and this guy were neck in neck, their skates collided and this guy bit the dust and Jon won. I still think Jon took him on purpose.



In the event that we decide to give this fun, indoor exercise another go, we will be leaving the littles at home. But bringing this Vintage Fool a full size walker, and knee pads.

This was a great family bonding day! 
(and floor bonding day too)


When was the last time you went roller skating?





Comments

Popular Posts